* We’re closer to having successful vaccines for lung and brain cancer
* New chemotherapy breakthroughs have increased the 5-year survival for pancreatic cancer from 16% to 27% (and is getting better)
* Child mortality is down everywhere and it keeps going down.
* Thanks to the ice bucket challenge the gene responsible for ALS has been found, meaning we are closer to an effective treatment. Let me rephrase that: we are close to getting a treatment for a very bad disease because a lot of people (including really hot celebrities) got wet.
* A solar powered plan circumnavigated the world.
* Michael Jordan donates 2mil to try and help bridge connection between police and the community.
* Tiger numbers are growing.
* And manatees.
* And pandas.
* Pakistan has made strides toward outlawing honor killings.
* 70,000 Muslim clerics declared a fatwa against ISIS.
* Pokemon Go players went insane with placing Pokemon stuffed animals near hospitals for sick kids.
* California is now powering over 6 million homes with solar power, a record in the US (and that is the tightest shit)
* Volunteers in India planted 50 million trees in 24 hours.
* Apparently world crime as a whole has drastically declined as a whole in the last couple of decades.
* Coffee consumption has been proved to help curtail cancer and suicide rates.
* Speaking of coffee Starbucks figured out how to donate perishable food in a food safe way.
* 500 elephants were relocated to a better, safer and bigger home.
* We made massive strides in Alzheimers’ prevention.
* The ozone layer is repairing itself and all the work we did to get rid of those aerosol chemicals was actually worth it.
* A new therapy developed in Israel could cure radiation sickness.
* The Rabbinical Assembly issued a resolution affirming the rights of transgender and non-conforming individuals.
* Precision treatments for cancer are hitting clinical trials and WORKING (as someone who’s had relatives with cancer this is the best news)
* The Orlando Shakespeare Festival showed up with angel wings to block funeral-goers for the Orlando Pulse victims, view from anti-gay protesters
* We may have cured MS
*Death by heart disease has decreased by 60% in Europe
* Two brothers saw color for the first time thanks to specially-designed glasses
* Pope Francis spoke against society’s obsession with physical beauty while dedicating Mass to the disabled community. So beautiful!
* Portugal ran its entire nation solely on renewable energy for four days straight
* A retiree is launching a project to transport 80 endangered rhinos to an Australian reservation to save the animals from poaching
* An Afghan teacher has been delivering books via bicycle to villages that lack schools
* 200 strangers attended the funeral of a homeless WW2 veteran with no family
* A British teen battling cancer married his sweetheart
* Bank firm pays for college tuition for the children of employees who died in the 9/11 attacks
* New medicine has been shown to increase melanoma survival rate to 40%
* Over 800 Boko Harem Hostages were rescued by Nigerian Army
* Toys R Us is Offering Quiet Shopping Hour for kids with autism this holiday season
* A 4-year old befriends a lonely man and helped him heal after losing his wife
* A sweet father gave candy to passengers on a flight so his little girl could trick or treat on Halloween
* Families grew
* People survived cancer
* People overcame depression
* Any kind of victory, even if it affects only one person, is a victory
* LEONARDO DICAPRIO WON AN OSCAR! EVERYONE READING THIS LIVED LONG ENOUGH TO SEE LEO FINALLY GET WHAT HE DESERVED
* There’s a new Harry Potter book!!!!
* And a movie!!!!
* Harry Potter has no plans on vanishing with time!!!
Good Things that have yet to happen this year
Good things that have nothing to do with the year but will hopefully make you feel better
* Rain (I like listening to rain it’s one of the most calming sounds)
* FF: If you are a religious person you are an imperfect masterpiece
* FF: If you are not then you are a splendid coincidence
* Any year spent with loved ones be they family or friends is a good year. Trust me.
* ”A laugh can be a very powerful thing. Why, sometimes in life, it’s the only weapon we have” –Roger Rabbit
*Please feel free to add other good news (even if it’s something small like you ate cheesecake THAT is good news) !
Welcome to Wildflowers & Wayfarers. A travel blog sharing adventures abroad from all corners of the world.
BACKPACKING IN THAILAND AND THE 23 PICTURES EVERYONE RETURNS WITH
THINGS I LEARNED FROM MY GRANDMOTHER
THE ANDERSEN BOUTIQUE HOTEL